Please explore a variety of resources and recordings available to MCH advocates. Come back often to be and stay informed on our work together.
2021 Advocacy Toolkit
- MCH’s Advocacy Toolkit has everything you need to be a successful advocate (virtual or in-person). Click here and check back often because we update it regularly.
03/2021 – MCH Key Data Points for Investing in Emergency Shelter
- Investing into Minnesota’s Emergency Shelters – click here for key facts that support the need for expanding and preserving Minnesota’s emergency shelter beds. This data is the absolute minimum in regards to the number of people experiencing homelessness because of undercounting, and some data exclusively reflecting individuals or families who have physically entered Minnesota’s shelter system.
2021 MCH Legislative Session Updates
- MCH’s Director of Public Policy provides a video update for advocates. Check out the video updates here as we continue to advocate for the importance of investments in the Emergency Services Program, and expanding and preserving shelter beds across the state.
2021 Virtual Hearings – Ongoing Recorded Testimonies
- This blog highlights our past testimonies for our bills in 2021. Check back often as it will be updated as hearings happen.
Ongoing – Regional Expert Network
- The Regional Expert Network (REN) is a partnership between the MN Coalition for the Homeless (MCH), the Heading Home MN Funders Collaborative (HHMFC), the Pohlad Foundation and the eight REN organizations. Each of the REN organizations include, at minimum, someone with lived experience of homelessness and a dedicated staff member to participate and to support one another. You can click here for more information
2019/2020 – Special Report, Key Data Findings from ICA
- We know: Shelter saves lives. Housing ends homelessness. This document summarizes the findings from the Institute for Community Alliance’s exploratory analysis of emergency shelter data across the state in Federal Fiscal Year 2020 (October 1, 2019 – September 30, 2020). The analysis set out to answer the following questions:
- What are the characteristics of persons in shelter?
- What are the characteristics of persons exiting shelter?
- What is the average length of stay in shelter?
- What is the relationship between length of stay and exit destination?
01/19/2021 – MCH Legislative Kickoff Video
- We know: Shelter saves lives. Housing ends homelessness. In 2021, our priorities include expanding emergency shelter beds to ensure no one has to sleep outside, investing in programs that cultivate long-term stability, and guaranteeing everyone in our community has a permanent place to call home. With our 2021 priorities (here on our website), we wanted to recognize the data from Minnesota’s Homeless Management Information System, prepared by Institute for Community Alliances, and show the need in communities across the state by highlighting Christina from Willmar from our Regional Interview Project. #MCHInterviews
Click here to watch our 2021 Legislative Priorities
Ongoing – 2021 MCH Regional Interview Project
- MCH staff conducted a variety of interviews with individuals across the state who are advocating to end homelessness. Click here for the page of interviews. We know: Shelter saves lives. Housing ends homelessness. The stories and conversations in the videos highlight the need for investments in the Emergency Services Program, Housing Support Program, the preservation/expansion of homeless shelters, and other resources across the state.
01/08/2021 – Homes for All Virtual Kickoff
- We hosted our Homes for All Kickoff, “The Road Home: Legislation, Inspiration, Education” on Zoom. We had over 90 advocates join us from across the state. Individuals shared their personal stories about homelessness and housing insecurity, and what investments to the programs on the 2021 Homes for All agenda (found here) would do for people across the state. We also heard from the three H4A teams (Policy, Communications, and Community Engagement) and recognized champion lawmakers with awards from the 2020 legislative session. Here are a few resources from the webinar:
- Click here for the recording of the webinar
- Click here for the PDF of the slides from the webinar
- Click here for information to join the different teams in the future
- Click here for the 2020 H4A Advocate Awards
12/17/2020 – Video Remembrances for the Virtual Homeless Memorial Service w/ Simpson Housing Services
- #MCHMember Simpson Housing Services worked with filmmaker Maribeth Romslo to create a virtual Homeless Memorial Service for 2o20. Find the recorded version here.
11/16/2020 – MCH Webinars from the Virtual Learning Series
- Find 10 recorded webinars on our YouTube channel here. Explore a variety of shelter, housing, and research topics with presentations and workshops from the Department of Human Services, Institute for Community Alliances, Minnesota Housing, Minnesota Tribal Collaborative, and Wilder Research.
05/08/2020 — Homes for All Virtual Rally
- Find the H4A Rally Video Playlist here. Advocates join together virtually for a bonding bill. Included: Individuals with lived experience, Governor Walz, Lt. Governor Flanagan, Rep. Alice Hausman, Rep. Dean Urdahl, Mayor Carter (St. Paul), Mayor Norton (Rochester), Mayor Frey (MPLS) and Mayor Larson (Duluth). Press release here.
03/29/2020 — MCH/Catholic Charities Virtual Press Conference
- Find the recording of the virtual press conference here. Leaders from organizations across Minnesota providing emergency shelter and services to people experiencing homelessness will give an update on the extraordinary public health and safety challenges presented by the COVID-19 crisis. Press release here.
03/12/2020 – MCH Homeless Day on the Hill
- Find the morning program here and find the press conference here. Explore our recordings of the big events from 2020 Homeless Day on the Hill. Over 850 advocates came together to talk with lawmakers. Our collective priorities included: expand emergency shelter beds to ensure no one has to sleep outside, invest in programs that cultivate long-term stability, and guarantee everyone in our community has a permanent place to call home. Press release here.